Travel Area: Macedonia
About Macedonia, Greece
Macedonia, the kingdom of Alexander the Great, is in Northern Greece. It is bordered by Epirus and Thessaly to the South, Thrace to the East, and Albania to the North. With mostly mountainous terrain, the region also includes the valleys of the Ali�kmon, Axi�s, Nestos, and Strymon rivers.
- Mount Olympus is the highest mountain in Greece.
- Macedonia is the largest region in Greece.
- The armies of Mark Antony and Octavius defeated the armies of Julius Ceasar's assassins in 42 BC at Philippi.
- Thessaloniki is the second largest city in Greece.
- Prespa lakes.
- Mount Olympus in Thessaloni.
- The ancient remains at Pella.
- The Royal Tombs of Vergina near Thessaloni.
- The Halkidiki Peninsula.
- Veria, the home of 70+ different churches.
- The Museum of Modern Art in Florina.
- Airlines, railroads, and bus lines provide transportation to and from Macedonia.
- Astoria National Airport (KSO) map
- Kavala International (Alexander the Great) Airport (KVA) map
- Kozani National Airport Filippos (KZI) map
- Thessaloniki International Airport (SKG) map